Skip to content

Applicant’s checklist

1. Compare study options


Check also the universities’ and universities of applied sciences (UAS)’  own websites to see what study options they offer.

2. Check the admissions criteria

Check the admissions criteria from the study programme description. Please note that the selection criteria may vary depending on the study programme. The universities’ general language requirement is IELTS/TOEFL.

Get more information on UAS admission criteria:

The universities decide on their admission criteria individually. Please check the admission criteria from the study programme descriptions.

Ask for more information about applying directly from the universities or polytechnic/UAS. See admissions sites of all universities of applied sciences (UAS) and universities.

3. Apply on time!

  • Check the application deadlines and apply on time!
  • Also remember to send the required documents on time.

Read more about applying here.

4. Tests and entrance exams

Remember to sign up on time if you need to take a language test. You will need the certificate in order to add it as an attachment to the application before the closing date.

More information on language tests:  National Certificates of Language Proficiency (EDUFI)

Remember to apply for a visa from the embassy in time, if you get an invitation to the entrance exam in Finland.

5. Plan your finances

The higher education institutions in Finland will begin collecting tuition fees from students arriving outside the EU/EEA in 2017 the latest. You can find more information on funding your studies, scholarships and living expenses in Finland from the Study in Finland website. If you have any questions about tuition fees, we recommend you contact the university’s or UAS’s admission services.

Congratulations to new students!

If you receive a study place and are not a citizen of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, apply for a residence permit from The Finnish Immigration Service.