How to confirm a study place in joint application to higher education
- If you have been accepted to a study programme, you will receive an email.
- You need to confirm the study place by the given deadline or you will lose your place.
- Confirming a study place is a binding choice, and you cannot cancel or change your choice later. When you confirm a study place bindingly, all your other study programmes will automatically be cancelled.
- Confirm the offered study place with the link in the email that you have received. If you have a Finnish social security number and Finnish online banking credentials, mobile certificate or an electronic ID-card, you can confirm the offered study place in the My Studyinfo -service.
- If you cannot confirm the study place electronically, please contact the higher education institution. If you are sending a confirmation form by post, it has to reach the higher education institution by the given deadline. Please be sure to reserve several working days for this.
- In addition to confirming the study place, you need to register as a student at the higher education institution by the given deadline. If you do not register by the deadline, you will lose your study right.
Confirming a study place electronically
- If you have been accepted to a study programme, you will receive an email with a confirmation link. Click the link and confirm the study place.
- If you have a Finnish social security number and Finnish online banking credentials, mobile certificate or an electronic ID-card, you can confirm the study place by logging in to the My Studyinfo -service.
When you confirm your study place electronically, you will receive an automatic email notifying you that the study place has been confirmed successfully.
Confirming a study place and choosing to remain on a waiting list for higher preferences
- If you are offered a study place to a lower preference study programme and are on a waiting list for one or more of your higher preferences, you can confirm the offered study place and choose to remain on a waiting list for your higher preferences.
- If you are accepted to a higher preference after this, the higher preference will automatically become your bindingly confirmed study place unless you are still on the waiting list for higher preferences.
- If you are not accepted to any of your higher preferences after this, the confirmation will automatically become binding for the lower preference study programme.
- If you wish, you can confirm a lower preference study place directly without choosing to remain on the waiting list. Note that if you do so, all of your higher preferences will be cancelled.
- If you have confirmed a place and chosen to remain on the waiting list, but you wish to cancel your place on the waiting list for your higher preferences, you can contact the higher education institution that you have applied to. They will make the change for you, and the lower preference becomes your bindingly confirmed study place. Please note that this is only possible if you have not yet been accepted to any higher preferences, and you do not want to wait for the results any longer. If you have access to the My Studyinfo -service, you can make the change there yourself.
Register at the higher education institution
After you have confirmed the study place, you need to register as a student in the higher education institution by the given deadline. Some higher education institutions send the instructions and forms with the acceptance letter, and others have separate instructions on how to register which can be found from the higher education institution’s own website.
Postponing your studies
You can register as non-attending for the academic year only for the following reasons:
- If you are unable to begin your studies due to illness or disability and will be non-attending for one semester or the whole academic year.
- If you are on maternity leave, paternity leave or parental leave
- If you need to complete military service, civilian service or voluntary military service for women in Finland.
Questions on admissions and accepting a study place
If you have questions concerning the results of the joint application system of higher education institutions and/or accepting a study place, contact the university’s or UAS’s admission services. Higher education institutions are required to provide guidance and counselling for applicants.