One study place per term provision
According to this provision, a student may accept only one study place leading to a higher education degree in Finland in education that begins in the same academic term. This rule applies to all higher education.
Higher education degrees included in the provision are:
- Bachelor degrees and Master degrees awarded by Finnish universities of applied sciences.
- Bachelor degrees and Master degrees awarded by Finnish universities
- Licentiate and Doctoral degrees awarded by Finnish universities
The provision applies to higher education regardless of how the studies are provided. For example, if you have accepted a study place from a separate application, you cannot accept a study place from the joint application if the study programme begins in the same academic term.
Only exceptions to the provision are:
- Transfer student selections
- the Åland University of Applied Sciences
- the Police University College of Finland
Furthermore, the provision cannot be applied to studies at foreign higher education institutions.
The academic term (1.8.−31.12. or 1.1.−31.7) is the set framework for implementation. The provision does not prevent acceptance of a place in another degree programme during another academic term. Even if the student postpones the commencement of studies, or interrupts his/her studies, that student cannot accept another study place for a degree programme starting in the same academic term.