University of Applied Sciences (UAS) Bachelor’s degree
A Finnish UAS Bachelor’s degree consists of 210, 240 or 270 ECTS credits and the duration is 3,5−4,5 years of full-times studies. The UAS decides the content of its degree programmes. Thus, programmes with the same name may consist of different study modules and units at different UAS.
Finnish UASes provide Bachelor’s level degrees in various fields of study.
The overall structure of degree programmes
UAS Bachelor’s degrees include basic studies, professional studies, elective studies, practical training and a final thesis (Bachelor’s thesis).
- The basic studies provide the student with a sound/solid basis for continuing studies in the field and professional specialization.
- In the professional studies the student chooses an area of expertise.
- The elective studies may be completed at the student’s own UAS or alternatively at some other Finnish or foreign institution. The elective studies are required to be of higher education level.
- During the practical training period the students gets acquainted with their professional field through hands-on job experience. The UAS guides the student’s job training period, which may be divided into several parts. The practical training can also be completed abroad.
- In the final Bachelor’s thesis the student deepens their know-how in their field of specialization and shows that they are capable of putting their theoretical knowledge and skills into practice.
Who can apply?
Eligibility to apply to a Bachelor’s degree programme at a UAS depends on having completed at least one of the following:
- the Finnish matriculation examination
- Finnish general upper secondary school syllabus
- vocational qualifications of three years or more in duration
- the International Baccalaureate
- European Baccalaureate
- a Finnish post-secondary or higher vocational level diploma
- a Finnish vocational upper secondary qualification or a further or specialist vocational qualification as a competence-based qualification, or a comparable previous qualification
- those foreign qualifications which provide eligibility for higher education entrance in the awarding country
- a Bachelors/Masters degree.
Student selection is based either on grades or an entrance exam, or both. Check specific admission criteria from the study programme descriptions and read more about admission criteria.