Professional teacher education
Professional/Vocational teacher education is intended for applicants who work or intend to work as a teacher at Universities of Applied Sciences and institutions of vocational education. The education offers a general pedagogical qualification for teaching at all educational levels.
The aim of Professional Teacher Education is to provide the students with
- the knowledge and skills needed in the guidance of the learning process of individual students
- the competencies to advance in their own teaching area, taking into account the development of working life and professions.
The extent of Professional Teacher Education is 60 credit points (ECTS). It includes studies in the basics of educational sciences, vocational pedagogy, and a teaching practice, among other studies.
The application period for profession teacher education has ended.
The applicants must meet the eligibility criteria for a teaching position in an institute of vocational education or a Universities of Applied Science. The degree on which the application is based must be completed by the end of the application period. The Professional Teacher Education institution will check your qualifications.
Eligibility requirements in short
Requirements for applicants seeking qualification as a teacher of vocational subjects
The applicant must have
- a degree completed in a university or University of Applied Sciences and
- a minimum of three years’ work experience in a field corresponding to the degree
Requirements for applicants seeking a qualification as a teacher of vocational subjects and applying on the basis of a degree in the field of Social Services and Health from a University of Applied Sciences
For people applying to a Professional Teacher Education Programme on the basis of a Bachelor’s degree in the field of Social Services and Health from a University of Applied Sciences, a minimum of five years’ professional work experience corresponding to the content of the degree is required.
Requirements for applicants seeking a qualification as a teacher of general subjects
The requirement for general subject teachers in vocational education is in most cases a relevant Master’s degree. Professional work experience from the field corresponding to the degree is not required. In some cases, a relevant higher education degree other than a Master’s degree may grant eligibility.
General subject teachers in vocational education are e.g. teachers of languages and mathematics.
Requirements for applicants applying without a degree from a university or University of Applied Sciences.
In some cases, qualifications other than a relevant higher education degree may grant eligibility, if the applicant is already working as a teacher of vocational subjects on an officially recognized programme of vocational study in Finland. In such cases, the applicant must have a minimum of five years’ professional work experience in a field corresponding in content to the teaching duties assigned to him/her.
Recognition of non-Finnish degree
A decision by the Finnish National Agency for Education (EDUFI) or the Finnish Ministry of Education on the recognition of the level of the degree as equivalent to a tertiary level degree completed in Finland must be attached to the application in the following cases:
- You have completed the degree on which your eligibility is based outside the Nordic countries (Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Iceland).
- You have completed your tertiary level degree outside Finland in another Nordic country and
- the degree belongs to the field of social services and health, and/or
- based on the degree, you are seeking qualification as a so-called general subject teacher, and/or
- the degree is less than three years in scope, and/or
- you are not a citizen of any of the Nordic countries.
EDUFI is responsible for decisions regarding the eligibility conferred by foreign qualifications for positions, which in Finland require specific education or a university/University of Applied Sciences degree of a certain level (Act 1385/2015). A certain level of education is required e.g. for teaching positions.
Full eligibility and admission criteria are available on Studyinfo and from Professional Teacher Education institutions.
The qualifications are determined by the following legislation:
- The Decree on the Qualifications of Educational Staff 986/1998
- Universities of Applied Sciences Act 932/2014.
Finnish legislation valid only in Finnish and Swedish.
Information on modes of study and their implementation is available on the Internet sites of Professional Teacher Education Institutions.
- HÄME University of Applied Sciences, School of Professional Teacher Education (HAMK) (Hämeenlinna)
- Haaga-Helia School of Vocational Teacher Education (Helsinki)
- JAMK University of Applied Sciences, School of Professional Teacher Education (Jyväskylä)
- Oulu University of Applied sciences, School of Vocational Teacher Education (Oulu)
- The School of Vocational Teacher Education at Tampere University of Applied Sciences (Tampere)