Vocational teacher education
Vocational teacher education is intended for applicants who work or intend to work as a teacher at universities of applied sciences and institutions of vocational education. The education offers a general pedagogical qualification for teaching at all educational levels.
The aim of vocational teacher education is to provide the students with
- the knowledge and skills needed in the guidance of the learning process of individual students
- the competencies to advance in their own teaching area, taking into account the development of working life and professions.
The extent of vocational teacher education is 60 credit points. It includes studies in the basics of educational sciences, vocational pedagogy, and a teaching practice, among other studies.
The next annual application period is on 8–29 January 2019. Application period ends on 29 January 2019 at 3:00 pm (UTC/GMT +2). The national joint online application is available during the application period.
The applicants must meet the eligibility criteria for a teaching position in an institute of vocational education or a universities of applied science. The degree on which the application is based must be completed by the end of the application period. The vocational teacher education institution will check your qualifications.
Requirements for applicants seeking qualification as a teacher of vocational subjects
The applicant must have
- a degree completed in a university or University of Applied Sciences and
- a minimum of three years’ work experience in a field corresponding to the degree
Requirements for applicants seeking a qualification as a teacher of vocational subjects and applying on the basis of a degree in the field of Social Services and Health from a University of Applied Sciences
For people applying to a Vocational Teacher Education Programme on the basis of a Bachelor’s degree in the field of Social Services and Health from a University of Applied Sciences, a minimum of five years’ professional work experience in a field corresponding to the degree is required.
Requirements for applicants from the fields of Dance or Circus
Applicants from the fields of Dance or Circus may enter three years of relevant studies as the degree on which the application is based.
Requirements for applicants seeking a qualification as a teacher of general subjects
The requirement for general subject teachers in vocational education is in most cases a relevant Master’s degree. Professional work experience from the field corresponding to the degree is not required. In some cases, a relevant higher education degree other than a Master’s degree may grant eligibility.
General subject teachers in vocational education are, e.g. teachers of languages and mathematics.
Requirements for applicants applying without a degree from a university or University of Applied Sciences.
In some cases, qualifications other than a relevant higher education degree may grant eligibility, if the applicant is already working as a teacher of vocational subjects on an officially recognized programme of vocational study. In such cases, the applicant must have a minimum of five years’ professional work experience in a field corresponding in content to the teaching duties assigned to him/her.
Recognition of non-Finnish degree
If the application to the Vocational Teacher Education Programme is based on:
- a university/University of Applied Sciences degree completed outside the Nordic countries, or
- a degree from the field of Social Sciences and Health completed outside Finland, or
- a university/University of Applied Sciences degree which is less than three years in scope and has been completed in the Nordic countries, or
- for those seeking a qualification as a general subject teacher – a degree completed outside Finland,
the degree must be formally recognized by the Finnish National Board of Education / Finnish National Agency for Education or the Ministry of Education of Finland, and an official decision on recognition from one of these bodies must be attached with the application.
The qualifications are determined by the following legislation:
- The Decree on the Qualifications of Educational Staff 986/1998
- Universities of Applied Sciences Act 932/2014
- The Decree on Universities of Applied Sciences 352/2003.
Finnish legislation valid only in Finnish and Swedish.
More information on the website of the vocational teacher education institutions.
Information on modes of study and their implementation is available on the Internet sites of Vocational Teacher Education Institutions.
- HAMK University of Applied Sciences, Professional Teacher Education (Hämeenlinna)
- HAAGA-HELIA School of Vocational Teacher Education (Helsinki)
- Vocational Teacher Education College in Jyväskylä (Jyväskylä)
- Oulu University of Applied sciences, School of Vocational Teacher Education (Oulu)
- The School of Vocational Teacher Education at Tampere University of Applied Sciences (Tampere)